You may suddenly notice some foul odor coming across your way, and then you realize it was your kid who just spoke something. Its prime time you must have a concern regarding this stinky breath of your child, which is unpleasant and embarrassing. But, before you feel too bad about it, you need to know that your child is not alone to face this. It is a common problem and happens to everyone at some point in time.
What is bad breath and what are the causes to it
Well, this bad breath problem is known as halitosis in medical terms. There can be various reasons behind it, and the best thing is that it can be treated and prevented. Thus before we proceed to anything, let us explore some common causes of bad baby breath:
- Poor oral hygiene- Dental hygiene is something you have to take care of, even when the teeth have not started to come. It is essential to keep the gums clean and have a regular inspection. Otherwise, the food taken by the baby can accumulate in the mouth and cause to smell.
- Smelly food- If the kid has started consuming food, few foods like onion and garlic can be prominent ingredients for bad breath as the food starts breaking in the mouth only. Thus, limiting such things in your child’s diet can lessen the issue.
- Dry mouth- Your saliva is the best cleanser for your mouth, which resists the persistence of bacteria’s and thus keeps foul odor at bay. However, few habits of your kid like breathing through the mouth, less water intake, etc. can cause the mouth to dry, thereby inviting halitosis.
- Ailing’s and infections- There are a few ailing’s like sinus infections, tonsillitis, etc. in which the mucus from the sinuses is introduced in the mouth, causing a foul odor.
How to get rid of bad breath
Bad breath can be annoying and distressing but is not permanent, provided you take the right steps at the earliest. All you have to do is analyze the cause and further follow the required steps to bring some improvement. Below are few such actions you can take:
- Follow proper oral hygiene- Half the dental issues are solved by proper brushing and flossing two times daily as this habit can help you fight the existing bacteria and prevent further diseases.
- Mouthwash- Both the types of mouthwashes: cosmetic and therapeutic are recommended to deal with the bad breath problem. These will not only give a pleasant smell but also keep the child fresh.
- Clean the tongue- Your coated tongue can also be a reason for the foul smell. Thus, make sure you clean the tongue thoroughly.
- See your dentist- If the smell persists after following good oral hygiene, you should see your dentist and talk to him about the issue in detail.
No longer feel shy if you have this problem of bad breath as it can happen to anyone. Make sure to follow the right dental hygiene and visit the dentist to identify the right cause and practice the measures.